If you’re looking at Yeti coolers then you’re already in the market for serious ice retention and you know exactly what you want. However, Yeti is a wonder brand with top notch quality and an endless variety of products and that is why we’re taking time today to tell you a little more about the Yeti Roadie 20 cooler.
Before we dive into it, it is important to understand that every Yeti cooler out there is designed for a specific purpose and a specific group of people and that means it’s necessary to do your research in order to land the perfect Yeti cooler for you. So, let’s see if the Roadie 20 is what you need.
>>Check Out on Amazon<<
First things first, when you decided on buying an ice chest, you’ve already encountered one or multiple situations where you thought to yourself “boy, I could really use a cooler right now” but have you ever thought of how big a cooler do you need?
Well, the Roadie 20 is conveniently versatile because it measures 18.5 inches in length which makes it a nice fit for regular tasks. Further, the cooler at hand is large enough to secure big catch sandwiched in ice as it measures 13 inches in width and 14 in height. Lastly, the Roadie is impressively stable and it can load up to 20 pounds in ice.
In terms of weight, it is important to first identify the equation that goes: better insulation equals more weight and that is why the Roadie weighs around 16 pounds empty. Hence, it must be anticipated that this little portable freezer can become surprisingly heavy once fully loaded.
- One of the primary features of Yeti which a lot of brands are trying so hard to copy is the simple yet clever design of these coolers. Indeed, the Yeti Roadie 20 is a great example of how Yeti coolers can be robust yet decently ergonomic.
- Undeniably, the Yeti Roadie 20 is not a Disney princess but it is designed so that it creates as little inconvenience as possible to both the carrier and the storage space. In fact, the edges on the Roadie are made as smooth and round as possible to avoid damaging your boat or vehicle on the go and also to keep your heels safe as you carry it around.
- More importantly, the cooler’s gasket is left unobstructed by any unnecessary addition in order to enable you to use it as a seat or even a casting platform on your boat or by the lakeside.
- Another little design cherry, which a lot of us might take for granted, is how Yeti makes room for you fingers to latch comfortable under the lid in order to pop it open which is a literal struggle with every other design that leaves the entire area flat as if it’s designed for people with screw drivers for fingers.
- To wrap it all up, Yeti adopts a Rotomolded finish which is a robust layer design that is capable of enduring the roughest environments, including bear attacks which is more common than you think amongst hunters and anglers.
This right here kicks the ball right into Yeti’s corner as it is the area where it excels. Indeed, Yeti was and still is known for creating the most effective ice coolers on the market. Hence, it wouldn’t come as a surprise to learn that this little guy is capable of maintaining its ice cargo for up to 4 days.
Obviously, ice retention is influenced by various factors and can change from one side of the planet to the other, depending on the temperature. However, there are a few things which every one of us can do to extend the ice retention period of this Yeti. For example, it would be very smart to pre-cool the night before, using a frozen water bottle. Also, it is important that you monitor and control your draining process and lastly, you must make sure to sandwich your cargo in ice and keep the lid sealed at all times.
But why can the Roadie retain ice for 4 days while a similar size cooler can barely reach day 2? Well, there is no secret there as it all revolves around insulation. The technology behind its formidable insulation is labelled as permafrost, which consists of 2 inches of high pressured foam on the walls and up to 3 inches on the lid which interlocks with the body of the cooler to create a 100 secure freeze zone.
In order to have a proper cooler, you must present proper features because those are what makes this whole interaction worth while. Indeed, Yeti is fully aware of the convenience or inconvenience that certain features can create and that is why it focused a lot of its attention towards creating the most practical cooler out there.
- Hence, the Yeti Roadie 20 benefits from a very robust carry handle that will make it possible for you to lift this thing individually even when completely loaded. Despite not being the best carrying method, the old school handle adopted by Yeti is still comfortable on the hand but not so much on the feet.
- The Roadie also features T-Rex lid latches that are made of heavy duty rubber. These little latches harbor a lot of value as they will keep your lid perfectly locked and reduce leakage significantly when compared to other mechanisms. Also, the best part about these latches is that they are so intuitive and easy to put on / remove.
- Moreover, the Yeti at hand also features the most needed little spec on any cooler and that is a draining hole. Actually, the draining exit for melting ice on Yetis is slightly more impressive as it is designed cleverly to allow the water to run out of the cooler without you having to move it around or make it lean on one side.
- Last but definitely not least is the lock holes on both sides of the lid which are a nifty little feature that will enable you to lock down your cooler overnight to truly keep anything and anyone from going through your container.
- As it’s been the habit for Yeti, the Roadie is also manufactured in a variety of colors, including: White – Desert tan – Ice blue – LE coral – Seafoam green.
Who is it for?
The Yeti Roadie 20 is overall a very versatile cooler but it makes a great match for wild campers, amateur anglers and even small catch hunters. Besides being great for beach days, the Yeti is also very well fitted for a boat.
You might be able to find plenty of competitors for the Yeti Roadie out there and perhaps even some which offer more but the Yeti at hand will always deliver more and that is simply because it is branded by a name that takes pride of its reputation in a vastly growing market. Hence, if you want quality then you’ll see through the price tag because with a Roadie 20, you will be set for life.